Melatonin is a hormone, that benefits us through light perception, as in telling day from night. Then leading into our cycles for rest and regeneration with circadian rhythms, a naturally occurring 24 hour cycle even in the absence of light, essentially the who, where, when and why of us in hormonal terms.
Shifting this in our modern society with night shift working, mining and underground working, not running the day by sun up and sun down maneuvers and artifical light in homes, being a parent especially with newborns, with television, computers as well as minimal candle light, all extending our day and creating havoc with circadian rhythms, changing us. These changes come in the package of increased risk of breast cancer, liver cancer, lung and brain cancer. Also affecting immunity, inflammation in the brain and body, gland health and regulation, free radical production, thymus health, brain function and vitality, emotional intelligence and sustainability of equilibriums.
To address our lifestyle and to help our body maintain normal balance for optimum function, it is relevant to look at our modern pace and demand for access to ‘what’s happening 24/7’ or earning a living by working outside of the general business day, the fall out these actions create and the toll this takes. It has been documented that coming off night shift can take a minimum of 2 years for the body and brain to regulate back to sun up and sun down. My own experience of this was closer to 5 years. To keep up the pace and maintain us, hold our essence creating options and alternatives to support the body are important. How can we do this?
Firstly let me share with you why it might be a great idea for you.
- Artificial light shuts down Melatonin production. A light at night for 1 second, stops production as the brain reads it as day light. The band width of 460-480 nanometers of light is inhibiting of melatonin production. A light bulb in the blue light range sits around approximately 430-490 nanometres, for example, television, light bulbs and computers. The Melatonin friendly range is 590-700 nanometres, amber through orange and to red spectrum.
- Melatonin promotes sleep, where we regenerate, repair and process.
- Melatonin produces anti cancer agents.
- Protection for degenerative diseases like Alzheimers, Stroke, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Dimensia.
- Reduces the risk of Parkinsons Disease.
- Smoothes mood swings.
- Supports proper orientation and focus.
- Blood pressure regulation.
- Decreases anxiety.
- Decreases inflammation.
- Supports general hormone production and levels.
- Reduces abnormal cell replication.
- Decreases platelet counts and neurotoxicity, while also reduces mouth sore, especially with chemotherapy based treatments for cancer.
- Improves thyroid function.
- Reduces PMS.
- Reduces Diabetes risk.
- Metabolic regulation and leveller.
- Reduces cravings especially sugar.
- Reduces depression.
- Reduces heart burn, stomach acid and GERD.
- Reduces macular degeneration.
- Reduces tinnitus [ear ring].
- Reduces and supports mood balance with Bipolar Disorder.
If your looking to increase and support your Melatonin production here are ways to do so…
- Pineapples, Bananas, Oranges, Oats, Sweet Corn, Rice, Tomatoes and Barley.
- Cherries, Goji Berries, Coriander, Almonds and Sunflower seeds, Beans and Pulses.
- Vit B6, Zinc, Magnesium and Folic Acid.
- Have some fun in the sun.
- Candlelight, instead of electric light, with beeswax candles, they are lovely and smell heavenly.
- Himalayan Salt Lamps with an orange, yellow or red light bulb inside.
- Swannies Blue Light Blocking Glasses.
In reference to Himalayan Salt, I use this all the time, you can buy the lamps through RB888 or a local supplier, but I recommend using a coloured bulb in the amber ranges. The other option here is a tea light candle [beeswax if you can] with salt around it in a bowl, it will have same effect as a lamp.
If your looking for some specs to wear to boost your production, I recommend Swannies, I have these myself, my kids use them and over the past few weeks, have noticed a balance in moods and comprehension due to mood balances. Both of my kids watch Youtube and play games so for me it was important to support the body with the effects of ‘fun’ in mind. Our sleeping has levelled out and improved with less restlessness, an easier falling off as well as a deeper rest. I have found my light sensitivity is vastly improved, wearing them in the morning commute and at night when I would rather have no lights but the rest of the family want it, Swannies offer a softening and an opportunity for me to be part of activities without the fatigue and grumpiness of sensitivity. Over all they are a godsend, my migraine symptoms are non existent and on the two days I started to get a migraine, mid-commute for work, I put them on and no migraine appeared, at all. This alone for me is reason enough to have them. Love, love, love. If your looking for a pair you can use the link below if outside Australia and for those in Aus, please contact Melanie on the link below with her name.
Remember to take care of your Melatonin Rhythm, Peace out Ruby.